The Ghana National Fire Service has urging the Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA) to intensify its decongestion efforts at the Kwame Nkrumah Interchange.
A decongested interchange would increase the effectiveness of firefighting efforts in the event of an emergency, the service has noted.
The Deputy Public Relations officer of the Fire Service, Prince Billy Anaglatey, was speaking to Citi News about Thursday morning’s fire that razed about 15 shops and the at the Kwame Nkrumah Circle.
The fire started after an electric transformer exploded in the slum area close to the former Obra spot. Eyewitnesses reported that a welder was seen to be carrying out some work close to the transformer.
In his urge to the AMA, Mr. Anaglate observed that “where you have a commercial shop where people are using stoves with charcoal and they are cooking on a commercial basis and they also have a welding shop close to where the cooking is ongoing, the city authories need to ensure sanity by making sure the decongest the area.”
He pointed out that there was a bus station close to where the fire occurred, which had gas cylinders with the potential of causing casualties if the fire had spread further.
“Had it not been for the fire service to prevent the fire from spreading and also the men being able to get into the fire to recover some four gas cylinders, if they were to have been in the fire, they would have exploded and the whole place would have been on fire or have been destroyed,” Mr. Anaglate said.
Join GhanaStar.com to receive daily email alerts of breaking news in Ghana. GhanaStar.com is your source for all Ghana News. Get the latest Ghana news, breaking news, sports, politics, entertainment and more about Ghana, Africa and beyond.
(Via: CitiFM Online Ghana)