Style, tactical discipline, attractive and swashbuckling. These are four characteristics which were alien to Hearts of Oak prior to the start of the season or even seasons past.
This would have been a perfect fit for the 2000 CAF Champions League winning squad who had all these characteristics in addition to character but with a game to end the first round of the league, Scottish coach Frank Nuttall has brought these together as the Phobians enjoy a five match unbeaten run.
This fun spell has coincided with the return of playmaker Winful Cobbinah who has been redeployed in central midfield role dictating play from deep and breaking lines with incisive passes. Striker Kwame Kizito has found his form and leads the line admirably for the team chasing down loose balls and working tirelessly.
It is a bit early to suggest the Phobians are back but from recent displays, it will be a big disservice to rule them out of contention for the league. And to go on this streak without dependable defender, Musah Inusah and their top scorer from last season, Cosmos Dauda who has had a huge dip in form, is a big feather in their cup.
They face a big test at the Carl Reindorf this weekend against Liberty Professionals under new coach Michael Osei whom the Phobians failed to beat in two league meetings last season.
And the former Kotoko coach is eager to create history at Liberty.
“I want to work very hard and satisfy both the management and the fans. They have a great future as a club and I am going to work hard to achieve the needed results since it’s another challenge for me in my coaching career.”
The Dansoman have been the draw specialists all season but have in their possession Samuel Sarfo who is an asset in both sections of the field.
A defender by trade, the police officer bullies opposing defenders as well as marshalling the backline but up the pitch, he has had a telling contribution scoring six times already. A mouthwatering contest awaits us at Dansoman.
* The last AWAY side to prevent Liberty Prof. from scoring at HOME in the GPL is Wa All Stars who secured goal-less drawn game on 16th Apr. 2017 in match Day 12 in the 2016-17 season.
* Liberty Prof. have so far kept 167 CLEAN SHEETS out of 507 games in the GPL since 1999.
* Hearts of Oak have so far kept 215 CLEAN SHEETS out of 508 games in the GPL since 1999.
* Liberty Professionals Best position in the GPL since 1999 is 3rd with 48 points in the 2002 season.
* Hearts of Oak have won the Ghana League title on 19 occasions since the competition started in 1958.
* Liberty Professionals worse performance in GPL since 1999 is 13th in the 2009-10 and 2015-16 with 38 points in both seasons.
* Hearts of Oak worse performance in the Ghana League since the competition started in 1958 is 13th with 40 points in the 2014-15 season.
* Liberty Professionals are currently 11th with 17 points after Day 14 games while Hearts of Oak on the other are 3rd with 23 points on the Ghana top-flight lo
MATCH STATS BY: Isaac Amponsah (Dr Ike), Director of Communications for Berekum Chelsea and Bright Yeboah Taylor of Adehye3 Fm
Join GhanaStar.com to receive daily email alerts of breaking news in Ghana. GhanaStar.com is your source for all Ghana News. Get the latest Ghana news, breaking news, sports, politics, entertainment and more about Ghana, Africa and beyond.
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.