Smart Drivers’ license -The new digital card was designed to fast-track the acquisition of new drivers’ licenses as applicants will now be able to obtain it within two to four weeks of application.
It is also part of government’s target to remove the human interface from the process of issuing new licensing.
Vice President Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia who launched the new technology received his New Smart Drivers’ License on Tuesday, October 7, 2017. The new drivers’ license and vehicle registration smart cards have been touted to be among the most secured in the world.
The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA) on Tuesday, began issuing smart drivers’ licenses across the country.
-The new smart card license contains a contactless chip loaded with the owner’s bio-data and the driver’s personal information for secure identification.
See Also: 5 Amazing Benefits of the National Digital Property Address System
– It will make use of the newest technology for the purpose of ensuring a secure ID printing that can be easily integrated with other systems of the DVLA.
Acquiring the new driver’s license will attract an additional Gh₵91 separate from the present charges on all other services including replacement (Gh₵64 + Gh₵91 = Gh₵155), new license (Gh₵166 +Gh₵91 = Gh₵257) and transferring a foreign license to a Ghanaian one (Gh₵364 + Gh₵91 = Gh₵445).
1. Instead of the long months of waiting in line for licensing, applicants will now be able to obtain it within two to four weeks of application.
2. The new card said to be West Africa’s first will also put an end to dubious middlemen, popularly called “gorro boys”. These gorro boys are mostly responsible for the seemingly chaotic process involved in the issuance of new licenses.
Series of complaints have been lodged against such middlemen who tend to swindle prospective license seekers in a bid to fill their pockets. They achieve this by inflating the required amount for the license and end up prolonging the process as well.
3. It will simplify the transfer of ownership of motor vehicles registered in another jurisdiction and eliminates to compose transfer letter (s).
4. Since the process is mostly online, it is expected to enhance the vehicle registration process.
Join GhanaStar.com to receive daily email alerts of breaking news in Ghana. GhanaStar.com is your source for all Ghana News. Get the latest Ghana news, breaking news, sports, politics, entertainment and more about Ghana, Africa and beyond.