A Juvenile Court in Kumasi has remanded into custody, three boys who allegedly raped a teenager in Kumasi and captured the act on tape.
The three, who were arraigned on charges of conspiracy and attempted rape, had their plea reserved to allow police prosecutors conclude investigations in the case that shocked the nation earlier this week.
Prosecutors were said to have told the court presided over by Peter Oppong Boahen, and the four-member jury that investigations into the case were still ongoing and prayed that the accused persons be remanded.
The court accordingly remanded the three into juvenile cell custody at Asokwa.
Details of Wednesday’s in-camera proceedings have been kept from the public eye as both prosecutors and the defence team has remained tight-lipped, Akoma FM’s Antwi Boasiako reported
The three suspects are among seven boys caught on a video forcibly having sex with a teenage girl in Bantama, a suburb of Kumasi.
The police in the Ashanti region arrested them over the weekend as the mount search for the other suspects continues.
The Police has launched a search for four more accomplices in the case.
The victim is currently at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital undergoing a medical examination.
On Tuesday, the three, in shared cuffs, were taken to the Asokwa district court.
In the courtroom, the three sat on a bench in a calm and sober mood, intermittently catching a glimpse of members of the audience in the room.
But there was no proceeding on their case.
According to a member of the police prosecuting team, a jury needs to be constituted to trial the suspects.
Parents of the boys are also expected to be part of the proceedings. The three were therefore sent back to police custody for the trial to open on Wednesday.
Sign up for GhanaStar.com to receive daily email alerts of breaking news in Ghana. GhanaStar.com is your source for all Ghana News. Get the latest Ghana news, breaking news, sports, politics, entertainment and more about Ghana, Africa and beyond.