The Executive Committee of the Ghana FA sacked its Vice President George Afriyie last week for spreading ‘malicious lies’ against the federation’s president and threatening some members of the staff of the federation at an ‘illegal meeting’, says Kojo Yankah.
An insulting text message sent to Kwesi Nyantakyi by Afriyie also contributed to the long list of reasons as well as other untruths which led to the axing, says the Executive Committee member.
Afriyie, who has been second-in-command to Nyantakyi for three years was fired last week following a meeting of the GFA Executive Committee.
This followed his removal as the Chairman of the Black Stars management committee following some fractious few months between him and the leader of the federation.
It was widely suspected that Afriyie was relieved of the two huge portfolios as a result of him declaring his presidential ambitions.
But Yankah has revealed the real reasons for Afriyie’s sacking, citing the spreading of lies against the FA President which was disproved at meetings of the Executive Committee.
“He (George) spread malicious lies about the President that monies of $1.5m has gone missing from the GFA accounts and when he was confronted he denied ever saying it but he told several people who testified,” Yankah said on Happy FM on Wednesday.
“He sent a text message to insult the President of the GFA without any provocation and we found it very unfortunate and in such circumstances this person cannot be trusted.
“George also called a secret meeting with the staff to warn some of them that they will be sacked when he takes over as the Ghana FA President.
“He also lied that he has discussed with the GFA President that he was going to make an announcement which he never did.
“These are the reasons and for any reasonable person or organisation such acts would not be condoned by anyone let alone the Vice President.”
The revelation by Yankah shows that there has been irreparable damage caused the series of events between Nyantakyi and Afriyie which might have led to the exit of the latter.
The 50-year-old stated clearly he will contest to become the next president of the local football governing body at his birthday celebrations in March.
Join GhanaStar.com to receive daily email alerts of breaking news in Ghana. GhanaStar.com is your source for all Ghana News. Get the latest Ghana news, breaking news, sports, politics, entertainment and more about Ghana, Africa and beyond.
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.