Match Preview: Asante Kotoko vs Hearts of Oak- A lot expected from ‘Super Clash’ derby despite struggles
It is the Ghana Premier League biggest occasion this weekend at the Baba Yara stadium and Asante Kotoko SC will tackle fiercest rivals Hearts of Oak in front of their home fans on Sunday.
The Porcupine Warriors have improved their spirits ahead of this crunchy clash after securing all three points in their first away win of the season at Wa All Stars last weekend.
The 2-0 emphatic victory last Sunday saw the Reds move from seventh to fourth on the league table and are only three points adrift of leaders Ashanti Gold SC.
This fixture hands the Fabulous side a big opportunity to level on points with the league leaders if they manage a win against the Phobians.
Asante Kotoko SC are unbeaten in their last twenty nine home league games but Iooks like it will be under threat .
Their last eleven matches at home against the Phobians has seen them win only once.
Key duo Sadick Adams and Kwame Boahene could be making their injury returns on the weekend against Hearts of Oak.
Daniel Darkwah is back to full fitness as well and is available for crucial duel.
Hearts of Oak seem to be in odd spirits as they travel to Kumasi to honour the biggest and most important fixture of the season.
The Rainbow lads have only one win in their last four premiership games and are winless in the last three which now see them sit 11th on the league log with only four points above the drop zone.
They needed a late equalizer to pick a point in their last match against Bechem United at same venue which was a home fixture.
A victory over Asante Kotoko SC will not only give the Phobians the bragging rights but could also be the turning point of their campaign.
The Phobians hold some sort of confidence going into this weekend’s game since they beat the Porcupines on penalties in the semi-finals of the G8 pre-season tournament at the Babayara stadium.
Head coach Henry Wellington who has not been on the touchline to direct affairs in the last two games due to an ailment is likely to return for big clash.
First choice goalie Benjamin Mensah could be back in the sticks for the Phobians. He was benched in last match.
• Asante Kotoko SC have suffered just two defeats in their last six fixtures in the premier league.
• Hearts of Oak have managed only one victory in their last five matches in the premier league.
• Asante Kotoko SC are unbeaten in their last twenty nine homes games in the premier league.
• Hearts of Oak have managed to win only two of their last nine away fixtures in the premier league.
• Asante Kotoko SC have lost only two of their last thirteen meetings with Hearts of Oak in the premiership.
• Hearts of Oak have been losers only once in their last eleven visits to Asante Kotoko SC in the premier league.
• Asante Kotoko SC have been able to keep just three clean sheets out of their last eleven home games in the league.
• Hearts of Oak have conceded in eight of their last nine away matches in the premier league.
This article has 0 comment(s), give your comment
Join GhanaStar.com to receive daily email alerts of breaking news in Ghana. GhanaStar.com is your source for all Ghana News. Get the latest Ghana news, breaking news, sports, politics, entertainment and more about Ghana, Africa and beyond.