One of the Winneba road accident victims, a three-year-old boy, is battling for his life at the Winneba Trauma and Specialist Hospital as there is no ambulance to transfer him to Accra for emergency medical attention.
Doctors say the boy, whose parents cannot be traced, has multiple fractures to the head and currently in an unstable situation requiring medical evacuation to either Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital or the 37 Military Hospital in Accra.
“No ambulance, no family member around. You call national ambulance [service] you’re not getting them,” Dr. Douglas Amponsah told 3News correspondent Kwame Kakraba Monday morning.
He said “we are now looking for ways to get ambulance to get him to Korle-Bu, that’s our priority now,” he added.
Six people have so far been confirmed dead in the accident involving a Sprinter bus and a Toyota Corolla.
The Mercedes Sprinter bus registered GT 3389 – 17 was said to be overtaking another vehicle when it suddenly burst tyre and collided head on with the oncoming Corolla registered CR 416 – 17 at Gomoa Mpota in the Central Region.
According to the medical doctor, some of the victims were brought to their facility but “a lot of them died” and currently have only four persons on admission including the boy whose parent is believed to have died in the accident.
“All the adults are in stable condition but the child isn’t stable; he has a lot of fractures in the head and currently unconscious and requires a referral to either 37 or Korle-Bu,” Dr. Amponsah told our correspondent.
Kakraba who visited the Hospital Monday morning said the bodies of the deceased have been deposited at the morgue.