A six dormitory-block of the Pong Tamale Senior High School (PONTASS) in the Northern Region has been razed by fire suspected to have been caused by a coal-pot belonging to a student.
Two students were injured in the Monday afternoon fire that has destroyed personal effects and educational materials of students who have been left stranded.
Eyewitnesses say one student hid a coal-pot he was using in the newly constructed dormitory upon hearing that teachers were on their way to the place for inspection. The fire was said to have started later around 12:25pm Monday when some students were getting ready to sit for their Elective Mathematics paper in the ongoing WASSCE examination.
Entertainment prefect for the school, who had gone into her dormitory to pick up an item, discovered the fire and raised alarm for help.
The Ghana National Fire Service at Savelugu was called in to help bring the situation under control but it took reinforcement from the regional headquarters to extinguish the fire after almost two hours.
The two students who were injured were taken to Pong Tamale Health Center for medical treatment.
Authorities of the school are tightlipped on the cause of the fire.
The Savelugu Municipal Education director, Phillip Ziblim Issahaku and the Municipal Assembly Coordinating Director have since the incident visited the school to access the extent of the damage.
Join GhanaStar.com to receive daily email alerts of breaking news in Ghana. GhanaStar.com is your source for all Ghana News. Get the latest Ghana news, breaking news, sports, politics, entertainment and more about Ghana, Africa and beyond.
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.