Ghana Shuts down All Schools, Universities and Bans Large Gatherings Indefinitely after 6 Cases of COVID-19

President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has directed the management of schools in the country to shut down effective Monday, March 16, 2020. The President gave the order when he addressed the nation on Sunday.
He said, “All universities, Senior High Schools and basic schools ie public and private schools, will be closed Monday, March 16, 2020, till further notice. The Ministry of Education, in collaboration with the Ministry of Communication, has been tasked to roll out distance learning programs.”
The President added that “BECE and WASSCE candidates will be allowed to attend school to prepare for their examinations but with prescribed social distancing protocols.”
Government bans church activities, funerals, other public gatherings
President Akufo-Addo as part of his address put a ban on all public gatherings including conferences, workshops, funerals, festivals, political rallies, and church activities and related events as part of measures to stop the spread of coronavirus in the country.
He said the ban will be in force for the next four weeks.
“I have decided in the interest of public safety and the protection of our population to review the public gathering advisories earlier announced as follows. Firstly, all public gatherings including conferences, workshops, funerals, festivals, political rallies, sporting events and religious activities, such as services in churches and mosques, have been suspended for the next four (4) weeks. Private burials are permitted, but with limited numbers, not exceeding twenty-five (25) in attendance,” the President said.
Coronavirus cases in Ghana
Ghana has so far recorded four more cases of the Coronavirus. This makes a total of six cases.
The development was announced by Director of Public Health at Ghana Health Service, Dr. Badu Sarkodie during a press briefing on the current status of the country at the Information Ministry, Sunday, March 15, 2020.
According to him, two more cases, after Thursday’s, were confirmed on Friday, March 13, 2020 – one from the Ashanti Region and the other from the Greater Accra Region.
“The first is a 56-year-old Ghanaian who returned from a trip to the United Kingdom on the 4th of March. He stayed in the UK for 10 days. He developed symptoms on the 12th of March and reported to a health facility in Obuasi,” said Dr. Sarkodie.
Watch the President’s address below.