The fate of the two former inmates of Guantanamo Bay in Ghana is being decided upon by government and a report will be sent to Parliament when it resumes, the president has disclosed.
President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo said the decision to either keep or release the two will be taken “now” and not in months.
After being brought for asylum in Ghana in 2016, Mahmud Umar Muhammad Bin Atef and Khalid Muhammad Salih Al-Dhuby are expected to be a subject of a decision as their stay expired on Sunday, January 6, 2018.
Their stay was only ratified by Parliament last year after a Supreme Court ruling punched holes in the constitutionality of the pact between Ghana and the US in 2016.
The Akufo-Addo-led government vouched for the conduct of the two suspected terrorists, saying they “have been comporting themselves well since their arrival in Ghana”.
READ: Ex-GTMO detainees have comported themselves well since arrival – Akufo-Addo gov’t
Questioned about the two Yemenis at his second media encounter on Wednesday, President Akufo-Addo said, “We have to decide whether or not we are going to grant them permission to stay or whether we are going to make arrangement for them to go somewhere else.”
He added that that decision is “being actively examined”.
“But I am fully aware that a decision would have to be made and we can’t wait may be six or five months. It has to be made now.”
Sign up for GhanaStar.com to receive daily email alerts of breaking news in Ghana. GhanaStar.com is your source for all Ghana News. Get the latest Ghana news, breaking news, sports, politics, entertainment and more about Ghana, Africa and beyond.