Eight out of the 12 presidential aspirants who were disqualified by the Electoral Commission (EC) for allegedly committing various criminal and electoral offences while filing their nominations have reported themselves to the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) at the police headquarters in Accra.
The presidential aspirants were given up to the close of yesterday, October 21, 2016 to report themselves to the police or face humiliation of being declared wanted.
This was after a criminal charge had been leveled against them by the EC chairperson, Charlotte Osei.
They are facing charges of fraud and electoral irregularities and therefore have questions to answer, according to the CID.
At the police headquarters yesterday, DAILY GUIDE learnt that four of the disqualified candidates gave their statements.
They included Dr Henry Lartey of the Great Consolidated Popular Party (GCPP), Hassan Ayariga of All People’s Congress (APC), Kwabena Adjei of Reformed Patriotic Democrat (RPD) and Kofi Akpaloo, Independent People’s Party (IPP).
The suspects, according to sources, were at the station with their lawyers.
However, Progressive People’s Party candidate Dr Papa Kwesi Nduom, the National Democratic Party’s (NDP’s) Nana Konadu Agyman Rawlings and Democratic People’s Party’s (DPP’s) Ward Nuako Brew, sent representatives to stand in for them while they reported later.
Nana Agyenim Boateng, popularly called Gyataba of United Front Party (UFP), according to sources, called the investigator in-charge of the case to seek permission.
He promised to report himself on Monday while the subscriber for Dr Ndoum, Richard Aseda – a man accused of endorsing the PPP leader’s forms in two different districts, also reported himself.
It was not clear whether Akua Donkor of Ghana Freedom Party (GFP) had been cleared as she was nowhere to be found.
But PNC flag bearer, Dr Edward Mahama, according to a source, did not either report or send a representative to the station to stand in for him.
DAILY GUIDE has gathered that after their statements had been taken, the suspected presidential aspirants would be given self-recognizance bail while investigations continue.
The police said the disqualified aspirants have breached Article 53 of the Constitution, C. I. 94 of the Election Regulation, the Criminal Offences Act, among other laws, and are likely to be prosecuted.
The aspirants were disqualified from contesting in the December elections on October 10, 2016 when the Returning Officer, Chair of the Electoral Commission, Charlotte Osei, found multiple breaches in the presidential nomination forms submitted by the aspirants.
Hassan Ayariga (APC)
Hassan Ayariga was disqualified for not providing evidence on his statutory declaration as to his hometown or residence in the constituency as per the legal requirements; while two subscribers of his nomination also subscribed for another presidential candidate.
This, the commission said, breaches Regulation 7(4) of CI 94.
Join GhanaStar.com to receive daily email alerts of breaking news in Ghana. GhanaStar.com is your source for all Ghana News. Get the latest Ghana news, breaking news, sports, politics, entertainment and more about Ghana, Africa and beyond.