Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?


Leicester and Arsenal Split Points After 0-0 Tie

It ended goalless between defending champions Leicester City and last season’s runners-up Arsenal at the King Power Stadium. Arsenal had the better of the opening period, looking dangerous in attack, testing the reigning Premier League champions’ defence.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain came close in the 26th minute, unleashing a curling effort from 20 yards having beaten Riyad Mahrez, with ease, on the left flank. His effort had Foxes stopper Kasper Schmeichel beaten, but sailed wide of the far post.

There was late controversy in the first half, as Danny Drinkwater looked to have brought down in the box by Laurent Koscielny.

Petr Cech superbly challenged Jamie Vardy who had been played in by Riyad Mahrez on the counter-attack, but Drinkwater, on the follow up, fell under the challenge from Koscielny. The referee, though, waved play on.

Only five minutes into the second half, with the score remaining level at 0-0, the Foxes were dealt an injury blow.

Summer signing Nampalys Mendy went down holding his ankle, having awkwardly fallen to the turf, and despite attempting to run off the pain, Claudio Ranieri was forced into a change, bringing on Andy King.

The return of Koscielny certainly had an impact on Arsenal’s defence and, alongside Rob Holding, the visitors’ back line looked organised, yet to be exposed by the likes of Mahrez and Vardy. Almost 70 minutes in, though, and Vardy was gifted a sublime chance to open the scoring.

Arsenal clumsily gave the ball away in midfield, and the Leicester striker instantly latched onto the ball, breaking forward on the right wing. His composure of last season, however, wasn’t there, with his effort high and wide of Cech’s goal.

Arsene Wenger, minutes later, opted for a double substitution.

Jack Wilshere and Mesut Ozil, replacing Granit Xhaka and Santi Cazorla, were called into action. Seconds later Olivier Giroud made his return, in place of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

The changes had a clear impact on Arsenal’s play, but their struggle to break down Leicester’s stubborn defence continued. Into the final 10 minutes, the game became stretched, as both sides searched for a winning goal.

The dying seconds of the game saw the Foxes win a free kick on the edge of the box, but Drinkwater’s effort was blocked by his own player.

It was an entertaining end to the clash at the King Power Stadium, but neither managed to draw blood, leaving the pair to wait for their first win of the new season. .

Sign up here to receive daily email alerts of breaking news in Ghana. is your source for all Ghana News. Get the latest Ghana news, breaking news, sports, politics, entertainment and more about Ghana, Africa and beyond.

You May Also Like

Top Stories

The Paramount Chief of the Effutu Traditional Area, Neenyi Ghartey VII, has assured the public that the impending 2017 Aboakyir Festival would be peaceful....

International hit record high in 2016. Site and apps viewed 15 billion times, with almost 100m unique browsers each month. Three senior appointments, expansion...


The Accra Report started Recipe Tuesdays to showcase the culinary delights of the African continent. There has been a significant time lapse between our...


One of our goals at The Accra Report is to expose to the world the eclectic beauty of Ghana and the African continent. In...

Copyright © 2020