The Boston Red Sox have issued a lifetime ban to a fan following a fresh incident of racist abuse at Fenway Park, the team confirmed on Thursday.
The Major League Baseball giants said the fan had been permanently barred from Fenway after directing a racial slur at another supporter on Tuesday.
The new incident came just 24 hours after Red Sox fans hurled racist epithets towards Baltimore Orioles’ outfielder Adam Jones on Monday.
“The Red Sox organization will not tolerate the use of racial slurs at Fenway Park, and we have apologized to those affected,” the team said in a statement.
“There is no place for racial epithets at Fenway Park, in baseball, or in our society. The Red Sox have turned the matter over to the Boston Police Department, who will further investigate with their civil rights unit and determine whether it merits further action.”
US media reports said a Red Sox supporter, Calvin Hennick, had notified stadium staff on Tuesday after the fan made a racist remark as a Kenyan woman sang the national anthem.
Hennick, a white man who was attending the game with his son and father-in-law, who is black, told the Boston Globe he was left “aghast” at the remark.
Hennick said he notified stadium staff after confronting the fan, who repeated the remark.
Join GhanaStar.com to receive daily email alerts of breaking news in Ghana. GhanaStar.com is your source for all Ghana News. Get the latest Ghana news, breaking news, sports, politics, entertainment and more about Ghana, Africa and beyond.